There’s nothing like cozying up on the couch with a warm bowl of soup, especially these colder winter months. Here are 3 recipes that’ll warm you up AND keep your health and weight loss goals on track.
Turkey Vegetable Soup
- 1 pound cooked turkey breast
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can northern or kidney beans
- 2 cans basil & oregano diced tomatoes
- 32 oz. low-sodium broth (any type will work)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup carrots
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 tsp. ground thyme
- 1 tsp. ground sage
Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
This is a flexible recipe, so you can easily swap an equal amount of other vegetables or spices to suit your tastebuds.
Recipe adapted from Spend with Pennies
- 1 pound ground beef (we recommend using 85/15 or 90/10)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 4 oz. green chile peppers
- 2 cups beef broth (for a healthier option, use HealthSmart Soup Beef Bouillon)
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
In a large pot on medium heat, brown ground beef with the onion until there’s no more pink. Drain off any excess fat or liquid.
Add remaining ingredients to the pot. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Vegetarian Bean and Barley Vegetable Soup
Recipe adapted from The Spruce Eats
- ½ of a large onion, diced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup pearled barley (uncooked)
- 1 cup pinto or white beans
- 1/3 cup tomato paste or crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. oregano or Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. thyme
- 2 large bay leaves
In a large soup or stock pot, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil for 1-2 minutes.
Add the celery and carrots and cook for 3-5 minutes.
Add water and the rest of the ingredients. Bring mixture to a simmer.
Once it is simmering, reduce heat to medium-low and cover.
Let soup simmer for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until barley is soft.
Remove bay leaves and serve.
You can also add other vegetables into the soup. Add ½ c of whatever you like at the same time you add the celery and carrots.
If you want to top any of these soups and stay healthy, we recommend our Proti-Thin Rusk Bread or ProtiDiet Protein Crisps. Once you have your meal prepared, share your creation with us! Snap a photo and tag @nashuanutrition on Instagram.
And if you just really don’t feel like cooking (we get it), try one of our soups, which are tasty and healthy!
And don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date on the latest recipes and sales.
← Previous Post
Source of Article:
Click Here for More of these Posts